Wednesday 31 October 2007

Opinion or Fiction?

I’ve just come out of a reader’s block and it feels really refreshing. Trying to learn about planning I’ve been cramming the latest APG Creative Effectiveness Awards volumes and lately Herd by Mark Earls which is fantastic.




However, I found myself becoming quite unmotivated to read at all as all I seemed to consume was marketing theories to the point of saturation.

Before I left for my recent holiday I was thinking of which new marketing book to read and the thought seemed to almost get me down a bit. So when whizzing through Heathrow I picked this up, The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall, the first fiction I’ve read in ages and MY GOD it feels good to get wrapped in a fictional world again. That and the book is as addictive as Garland’s Beach (before the film came out and everyone under the sun had read it). It’s a truly fantastic read which whips you into a mad psychologically tricky place.

The point I’m trying to make stems from a Paul Arden comment (in his career advice books) that some of the best books to read about advertising aren’t about advertising i.e. I now intend to keep my nose firmly in both current marketing books and the world of fantasy and fiction, just so I keep a healthy balance and a fresh perspective when thinking about whatever I’m thinking about.

All above books I thoroughly recommend. Rambling over.

Anton xx

No comments: